- Disclaimer -

The views and information presented in this blog are my own and do not represent the Fulbright Program or the US Department of State.

Monday, January 12, 2009

My Daily Routine

Aunt Pam sent me an email asking what a normal day's like here in Thailand, so I figured I'd answer on here rather than just to her so that everyone knows how I do.

On weekdays, I wake up at 6:30, take a shower, eat some cereal, make some green tea, and walk to school. I arrive at about 7:30. At anywhere between 7:35 and 8:00 the students congregate in front of the flagpole, organized into classes. They sing the national anthem, address the Buddha statue, sing the alma mater, and then listen to any number of teachers give announcements.

Class begins at 8:40 everyday, according to the schedule, but I often don't see any students in my first period classes until 8:50 or 9:00, depending on how long the flagpole meeting was and if their homeroom teacher had things to tell them. I teach 21 periods throughout the week, with four of these periods being marathon, 2-period long elective classes.

Monday is my busiest day with 6 periods. Wednesday's the easiest with only 2.

I normally break for lunch when I have a free period, normally sometime between 10:30 and 12:00. If I wait around and get to the cafeteria after the students do, most of the food disappears and I have only 15 minutes or so to eat what little I can scrape together.

Like I said, I teach different amounts on different days, but when I have down time I plan for upcoming lessons, make props, study Thai, and catch up on emails and things online. I stay busy.

Afternoons are normally more laid back. And the students tend to be louder and more difficult to keep in line. Just have to go with the flow in these situations. The students have a variety of activities they are involved in throughout the week. Thursday is scout day, so most of the kids and teachers dress up in Boy scout uniforms and have lessons about how to tie knots or whatever.

I often bring running clothes over to the school with me and go for a jog around 3 or 4 in the afternoon. The kids get a kick out of this for some reason. I play ping pong and basketball in the afternoons too. Students were amazed by me dribbling through my legs and spinning the ball on my finger. Another thing you can do to draw attention as a farang (foreigner) is play guitar. I had to play "Country Roads" before the entire school on New Years. Good times. Made me miss home.

After running, I head home, take a quick shower and chill until Khun Yai brings me some dinner. If I happen to see her or Khun Dtaa on the way in, we have a word or two. The other day grandpa surprised me with an ostrich egg, which I'd never seen before. I have a picture I'll try to put up sometime. (By the way, I have a ton of pictures that haven't made it to Facebook yet).
I eat dinner by myself, usually putting on a DVD in the room if it's cold or getting dark out. If it's not either of those, I like to eat by the lake, watch the animals, etc.

That's pretty much the extent of my day. From there on I generally just watch a movie or read until I fall asleep. Usually sleep comes at about 9:30, but I've been staying up later lately for some reason.

The weekends is much the same, just without the teaching. Khun Yai brings me all the meals during the weekend, and I think she's caught on that I can barely stomach her dehydrated seafood rice porridge dish for breakfast. Now I consistently get fried eggs and a piece of toast, sometimes a cup of coffee. Before quite recently the director of the school wouldn't give me permission to go anywhere or do anything, so I was literally trapped in my room. I have begun sneaking out whenever I feel like it, and he either doesn't know or doesn't care. I've gone to the city a few times, explored a little bit. I met Paige, the other Fulbrighter in Chiangrai, last weekend and we had a good time.

So, long story short, I'm getting along. I'm enjoying myself, but I also miss everyone back home. Look forward to getting back in about two months!!

2 comments:

Aunt Pam said...

Thanks for the "life in the Day of Brad". We can't wait to get you home :)

XXOO
Aunt Pam

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your day!

We too can't wait till you get home! :)

Love you,

Mom